200 EMA not showing up

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

On about half of my charts, if I select ’30 min’ candles, my 200 EMA doesn’t show on the chart.

It is definitely on there since it’s under my indicators, and I have the ‘Units’ over 200 on every chart and it still doesn’t show up. My other EMAs (20,50,100) are all on the chart and work perfectly.

On a few charts theres a very small 200 EMA line but it’s not usable since it’s only about 1 unit long.

Anyone else had this problem/know how to fix it? It’s really frustrating because it’s only on my 30 mins chart.

Thanks in advance.

For which instrument do you encounter this problem? To properly calculate an exponential moving average, you’ll need at least the double amount of candlesticks than the chosen period.

1 user thanked author for this post.

It tends to be with ‘US tech’ listed stocks, I currently have units set to 10’000 and the 200 EMA doesn’t show up anywhere.

Heres a screenshot: https://gyazo.com/7a6821f81965faaec2e5080699afc1b5

In your screenshot even if 10000 units is selected, there doesn’t seem to be enough history for this stock, we can see your horizontal scroll bar showing there is very little missing from the left side of the screen, there’s certainly not 10000 candles loaded here with a scroll bar like this, we can even see the birth of the red and green ema’s which I guess from your 20;50;100;200 selection are the 50 and 100… and we are less than an extra 100 candles away from the birth of green ema100 so it’s normal there’s no ema200 yet…

So the problem is not about ema200 not appearing, it’s about history either not available or not loaded. Can’t see why your 30 mins can’t reach the 10000 candles loaded… apart from the obvious “stock has been recently introduced” as the case may be for a few, but that can’t be for all of them.

Sorry can’t help further than determining it’s a “history not loading” rather than “ema not appearing” problem for now…

Okay, well the stock hasn’t been recently introduced so it’s not that.

I only have this problem with 30 mins on US tech/nasdaq stocks. Since if I change the chart to 1 hour, the 200EMA works and all the EMAs run out but they run out much further back than the 30 min ones. (They run out about 2 months ago on 1 hour).

Depending on both type of market and type of version of prt (complete vs premium), the history limitation would differ from timeframe to timeframe – example of such history differences here for CFD’s: http://ee.md.it-finance.com/IGIndex/features_premium.phtml?locale=en_GB

So first thing to check to understand this history limitation would be max history available for US stocks for 30 minutes given with your subscription, might be different from the 1 hour one. However the screenshot shows an awfully short history, I would guess even if 30 minutes history limits is not great, it can’t be that short, that feels way too short, there must be something else going on… How many graphs at the same time are you running in this workspace?

Also, it might be worth trying to select your history length in “time” amount rather than “units”? For example choose “3 months” rather than “10000 units” (I remember that helped me once for x tick charts, maybe it would do the trick for 30mins chart too?)

I have 13 charts open, and a screener running. But I’ve had more charts open with FTSE 100 listed stocks and I don’t have any problems like this. I have a good PC so it wouldn’t be that, but maybe launch RAM?

If I switch the history to 3 months, then it works great but It forces me to use Daily timeframe, If I try to switch timeframe back to 30 mins then the 3 months part goes back to 1 month/units.

Ok, I just made an experiment, I have a busy working space too, and like you my 30 minutes chart (even if on french and euopean cfd’s rather than US stocks) was going only around a month back (nov 25th) if 30 minutes timeframe, but because it’s cfd 24h chart, I have 48 candles of 30 minutes per day rather than only 13 for 6.5 hours per day for US stocks, so ema200 would work for cfd’s, but that’s not my point, I mean my point is I am trying to replicate same number of days history limitations as you.

So, if I switch to “3 months”, it goes to daily timeframe too, and if I switch then to “30 minutes”, it goes back to 200 units. So up to this point, same as you, which means maybe being US stocks doesn’t change PRT behaviour compared with my European CFD’s.

Now, next part of the experiment is: I have closed all my charts except one: the 30 minutes one. I now have one chart open only, with timeframe 30 minutes. I then change the 200 units to 10000 units, and there it finally loads up a lot more history (march 8th 2016).

So I suppose there is some sort of memory allocation inside PRT that prevents using the whole 30 minutes history when running too many charts at the same time (haven’t tried if it still works with 2, 3, 4 charts, only did it with just the one).

Okay, that’s interesting.

I’ve just fixed it, (woo!) I launched with java then chose 2GB of ram instead of 1GB and It took me abit longer to boot up but all my EMAs are now fixed.

Thanks for your help 🙂

Edit: No it’s not fixed, still broken/same as before.

I need to revive this thread as I too am having the same issue.

The 200EMA is not showing. Well it shows a really short period/ I can increase the number of units to say 10K on a 30 min chart and the line is slightly longer, but not enough to full the screen.

If I increase itt o 3 months the time frame jumps to 1day and I can no longer view it as a 30min time frame.

IF I then go down to 4 hrs and I manage to keep it with 1year unit again the 200EMA is tiny and does not stretch across the window.

Any ideas?

Hello,

Can’t replicate the issue, my ema200 is showing as early as it possibly can far on the left on a 10k history 30mn TF. Maybe if you have screen captures of your 10k 30mn TF, and specify broker and asset, forum members can try to do exactly the same as what you(re looking at and see if there is an issue there for others too?

Also, is it platform ema? Or custom coded ema within a probuilder script which might have conditions to display it (if yes please use insert PRT code button to provide script, thanks)?

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

Create your free account now and post your request to benefit from the help of the community
Register or Login